Minutes of the meeting of the
Dundalk Cycling Alliance
1st July 2015
- Liam, Pat, Tony and Ollan with apologies from Fiona, Padric, Nadia and Pat.
The minutes of the 20th May 2015 meeting were read. Tony proposed and Liam seconded their adoption. They were duly adopted and signed.
3/ Matters arising
- Liam read a letter which he wrote to Cllr Keelan asking him to propose that a cycle lane be built by LCC to link Bellurgan ( Cooley) to the cycle lane beside the Castle town river. The proposed cycle lane would follow the track of the disused railway line and so provide a flat route unlikely to generate opposition.
- Tony described the changes coming to the website.
- Liam outlined the financial position of the DCA.
6/ Dundalk Cycle Lanes
- Ollan gave an account of emails and conversations which he had with officials and a businessman with a view to connecting the town centre cycle lanes to the railway station.
7/ Cooley Cycle Route
- Liam said that we should concentrate on extending the Carlingford to Omeath cycle lane to Newry as our immediate priority.
- In the context of Failte Ireland’s Ancient East Initiative that Liam should contact Failte Ireland and remind them of their previous commitment to make Dundalk a cyclising hub. From Dundalk there are disused railway tracks going to Ardee, Castleblaney and Carrickmacross and if cycle lanes were made along these ending in Dundalk and linked to the Cooley Cycle lanes and a cycle lane going south from Dundalk along the costal route it would make Dundalk a cyclists mecca to explore the Ancient East.
- Pat described the problems caused when taking a group of cyclists from the South of Dundalk through Dundalk to the North of Dundalk.
9/ Next meeting
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 12st August 2015 in Liam’s home from 20:00 to 21:30 hrs.